Chef Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a local chain restaurant, one step up from Applebees kind of place, they have a dish I absolutely love. As I was out runing errands and knew I didn't feel like cooking that night; I called to place a "to go" order. I was told "we don't do "to go" orders. Mind you this was not even anywhere near a peak time (5pm Sunday), so it's not even like there was a busy-ness factor to be added to the equation.

Well, now I know not to send our corporate guests that want a good quality take out meal there--

What is your take on this situation? Do any of you have a no take out policy at your restaurants? I've never seen this at any of those I have worked at --

I know they can be a pain and I try not to do the take out thing during a prime time-- but still!

·
Registered
213 Posts
There's only one good reason not to do a to-go order - if the dish is prepped and served in a baking dish or casserole dish. Even then, I would figure out a way. They must have too much business. How fortunate they are! I've even done to-go at a 4-star restaurant, where we loaned out the china to the guest.

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
I work at a 3 star restaurant in downtown Chicago and we do to-go all the time. There are certain items that i will not sell to-go, such a creme brulee, custards, etc. Not only because I don't want to give away my dish, but also because of the health issues involved. I have no way of knowing how long that food might sit out, at room temp. before being consumed. I will also, give a guest, with a to-go order, a verbal disclaimer stating that I can't guarntee the quality of the food once it leaves the restaurant. Most people are very surprised (and very happy) that I will accommodate to-go orders.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that it was a chain. It may be that your request wasn't in the manual from Corporate Headquarters. As the employees were likely more serfs than foodies, they simply didn't know how to react.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
creme brulee to go, add $6 to the price, when they return the dish, give back the "deposit"
If not, you can buy a new one!
Sarabeth's NYC does this ( I'm sure she does it at all of her locations)

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
I was in Memphis during New Years week....my sons love Corkys BBQ, my 12 year old ADORES Onion rings....they would not do onion rings to go, I ask why? I said I'd take responsibility, I asked to talk to the Mgr.
He said I could sit at a table and put them in a box myself......do you believe this shtuffff....??????CORKYS BBQ, unreal, I explained I had a special child who could not come into the restaurant and who REALLY wanted rings. I've not been this mad in a long time. CORKYS IN MFS> finally after having gotten the ribs 15 minutes later the waitress comes over and asks if I need something (again this is a go order)....the onion ring order had not even gone into the kitchen. I discovered Willinghams restaurant off Poplar has wonderful Ribs better than Corkys. ARRRRRRRRG...I really hate inanness.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Thank you!!!!!! It took me a week and 1/2 before I could calm down enough to post the tirade. I've not yet contacted the owner of Corky's still tooo angry.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Geez, I worked at a "gourmet" type sit down place where the food isn't easy to plate to go, but the host had us do it anyway. Yeah it was a pain cause it messed with my "routine", but the customers were always very pleased. He would even send it out on the china. One day, a customer brought back 10 of our plates. Once, a long-time customer was sick, but was really craving our food. So this host had us plate us a whole dinner and then he got a cab to take the dinner up to them. Needless to say, he has their undying admiration and gratitude.

·
Registered
356 Posts
At Duff's, pinnacle of the Buffalo style chicken wing (corner of Millersport Hwy and Sheridan Dr., Amherst NY) they'll still give you "to go" orders.

But they put a prominent disclaimer on the menu and handbills: We cannot guarantee crispy wings to go.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I tend to agree. How often have you had really tasty Oriental food at the place, but it tastes like cardboard if you order take-out? I have found that, with the exception of spiciness, all Oriental tastes the same if it comes out of one of those little white boxes.

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 01-20-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
I agree, food is much better at the restaurant than when stuffed into a take-out container, but who am I to say 'no' to someone who wants to have our food to-go. I don't know any restaurant that could not use the money generated by any sale. As long as the guest if fully aware that quality will suffer, and that there is no way to guarnetee proper temps., then fine they can take it to-go. Look at it this way: if you make $300 in to-go sales a week, that is $15,600 added to your sales for the year. Take into account that since you are open and already serving food, then the only real cost for the take-out is food cost and containers. That means that without doing anything you are adding approx. $10,000-11,000 to the bottom line. Who can't use that kind of money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:bounce: :chef: :bounce: :chef: :bounce: :chef: :bounce: :chef:

what was the dish you so adored so that we can figure out how to make it.

all aboard choochoo

·
Registered
42 Posts
We do to go's at our place. Sometimes it can be a pain in the *** when we are busy and have like 3-4 to go's at the same time.

There have been some slow nights when we have done more to go's than actuall covers in the restaurant.

We have a pharamcutical group that books our "Club Room" 3-4 times a year. They schedule it so say 3-5 doctors come in at a time and watch their little presentation, get samples of new drugs and while they do this, we are cooking to go orders for the Docs. We usually do like 30-40 orders for them each time.

I like this because we (the cooks) get the tips from them :)

Billy

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you can, you gotta do to go. At my old restaurant in L.A. we worked with a service called "Whycook?" Customers would place orders for our food with them , they sent a driver to pick up and deliver, within 30 mins. On slow weeks
they could account for 30% of our food gross.
Yes it's a pain, and when the kitchen's slammed you hate them, but I can't tell you how many people are happy to get their favorite food delivered to them
without having to leave their house.(especially in L.A.) And willing to put up with discrepancies in heat/plating /soggy fried.
Our most popular was our 24 oz Porterhouse steak with pomme frites and
Chocolate mousse for dessert!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When we added the free delivery a year ago it's like our whole neighborhood freaked out. We kept hearing "It's about time!" Seems that they were hoping we would and they were estatic when we put in the credit card machine. Im sure you've seen us sometime we were in the movie Jersey Girls and Boys on The Side. And no we did not cook anything when Drew Barrymore pretended to throw up in the bathroom, it was part of the script. :rolleyes:

We now have more business than we know what to do with but our customers are content since we are open 24/7 365 days a year and we deliver 24/7. Where else can you get dinner at 3am?:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.