Chef Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day my friends, There are some things I would like to say about this trade that has got me wondering, where we will be in 50 years or so?
There is more than enough people in this industry taking on large and vast ideas about what they would like achieve over some ten years or so. I mean BIG!!! We are growing into a monster people, and it won't slow down for those who don't have the proper education. So we have to dig deeper and find it in ourselves to learn more about what it is we are doing.
This is a 3 billion a year industry gross and growing. So it's not just about the love for cooking anymore folks. If you think about it, we kind of run the show in this country. So, in twenty years we must possess a vast array of knowledge to teach the next generation of chefs, not for them to teach us.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is true Danielle, but not what I aiming for. And yes, BigD You have those people coming back for fresh ingredients but what about that new innovative and stillesh restaurant that will open around the block next week. What's to keep your loyal patrons from dashing over there. I know, I have seen it done a thousand times. We are in a business to entise and surprise the soul of creation. Without the proper tools of encouragement, we are doomed to a lesser since of bewilderment.
"how did that happen"
I am a chef, business man, counselor, teacher, professor, poet, artist, and lover of all things that good in life.
In any case, we must remain teachable but not to be taught by some know it all kid, who just got out of school. This is why we must, as professionals, remain on-top of everything.

[This message has been edited by Chef David Simpson (edited 12-13-2000).]

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Margaret, Thank you for your edtion. You know I have to agree with you on some of what you said, but in an instance you say we must educate the diner. This is true, but in any case we are what we create. And that stems from all angles of the industry. What I mean is, we educate while the patron is at the table. The menus and sleeves should have meaning to what they are eating. You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make him drink it.

[This message has been edited by Chef David Simpson (edited 12-21-2000).]

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to make a note that I was wrong about the Industry gross. I was thinking about catering.
All earnings amount to around 376 billion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.