Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done searches for cookie topics. I cannot get my cookies to keep from falling and being thin and flat. I had always used the Nestle Toll House recipe, but I was never satisfied.
This is the recipe I used last and they still went flat:
2 1/4 cup pastry flour (nstead of AP)
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder (not in the recipe)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
12 oz. chocolate chips

350 degrees for about 13-15 minutes. (they were big, six per sheet instead of twelve)

The changes that I made were the addition of the Baking Powder, using half shortening, the pastry flour as opposed to AP, and I also baked in on parchment paper instead of anything greased to avoid excess spread. I even chilled the dough in the fridge before hand.

Someone please help me. What else can i do? Should I try just BS or just BP? Should I bake them longer at 300? Should I try Cake Flour?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will leaving the baking powder out help them from becoming so thin?
Should I use entirely shortening? Will this help with the thin cookie problem? I have always heard from anybody who bakes cookies that butter always makes a better cookie.

I tried the chocolate chip recipe in The New Professional Chef, the CIA textbook. It called for even parts butter and shortening. It also said to use pastry flour, just, like I did. It also said to mix the baking soda in with the butter, shortening, and sugars when creaming them. I guess this is to activate it.
But the point is that they still came out flat.
Can anyone suggest anything else?
Next time I think I will cut back on the fat and sugar slightly.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only difference between my most recent batch and the one I posted, is the omission of the baking powder and I added the baking soda with the butter, shortening, and sugars in the hopes that the acid in the brown sugar would activate it more than just adding it with the flour. This is exactly the same as in the pro chef.

Its like I have some sort of curse.

I watched this batch in the oven. After about eight minutes they looked perfect, but I knew they weren't done, just would have been raw dough. They even looked fine when I first took them out of the oven, but when I let them sit for a minute they just completely deflate. The chocolate chips stick out of the cookie like a large pebble. I can't remember the last time I had someone elses Nestle Toll house cookies, but they never seem to be like this. Do they?

Another thing that I have noticed is that my cookies seem to be slightly greasier than others.

At this point I fairly convinced that I need to adjust the amount of fat or sugar, maybe even the flour as well. But I'm still perplexed by the fact that so many recipes are similar to the one above, which is essentially the same as the Nestle Toll House except the shortening and pastry flour, but the amounts are the same. Yet my cookies still leave something to be desired. ARRRGGGHHH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.