Chef Forum banner

What do you listen to?

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  jim berman 
#1 ·
What plays in your kitchen at work time?
For me, its Styx. If it is a big night in need of a lot of attention, its the Yellowjackets (jazz).
You?

#2 ·
Well in the kitchen that i work, we are allowed to listen to a radio before service starts. Then we have to cut it off about 15 minutes before lunchtime business comes into play. I like listening to fast paced latin style mucic when working, in order to get me in the groove!

------------------
Another Day, Another Battle.
Don't Ride A Boat Without A Paddle.
If The Water Is Not Too Deep,
Take A Little Swim But Don't Fall Asleep!

#6 ·
I have 3 cooking jobs...
Place 1) The most favored seemed to be Buena Vista Social Club, Hank Williams, Ben Harper,
The Gram Parsons Tribute Album, Agnes Baltsa.

Tapas Place) Lots of Spanish music of course.
Macy Gray, Crooners such as Rosemary Clooney,
Frank Sinatra, Lenny Kravitz (the Tibetan steward seems to like him).

High End Catering Co.) No agreement yet. Listened to Van Morrison, Madredeus, Etta James. We mostly listen KFOG and classical music for road rage. No one wants to bring music anymore cause of the flaming.

#9 ·
yeah, ben harper - he's the man, and it would help keep the minions calm and settled yeah?.

I like slower music for pre service and then the faster stuff for service, a few years ago as a grill chef, i liked the prodigy's "firestarter"

#10 ·
Where I am at now the chef doesn't allow music, but in other places we listen to a very eclectic mix of music. From hardcore industrial to latin to bluegrass. In Atlanta one of the college radio stations has a world music show for four hours every Sat. morning. It's great, you can hear traditional chinese music followed by Indian techno followed by an Irish jig. But every weekday morning it was talk radio and Paul Harvey. He rules!!!

#11 ·
Yeah Paul Harvey is a great news talk radio host. I always remember his closing at the end of the show. "I'm Paul Harvey, Good day." I like listening to Bruce Williams when it comes to Finances.

#12 ·
Well the Exec doesn't allow music in the main kitchen, but in my room there is an open kitchen and piano bar, boy can Bob belt out the Jazzy Standards like Beautiful World by Louis Armstrong or Piano Man. Well, they are moving Bob to the Atrium and are supposed to be piping in Acid Jazz and other type eclectic stuff, the kitchen pretty much has no choice in the matter, big F&B decision you know.............

#16 ·
Terry Gross and "Fresh Air" on NPR. And "The Splendid Table" on NPR. Both for prep work. A little salsa or big band to get in the mood for the rush. Jazz or standards during the heat of battle. James Brown or the Stones for clean-up.

#17 ·
Hey, Anthony, I'd be careful about playing the Ramones; "Should I Stay or Should I Go" would be a subliminally bad song to be playing in the background for a cook who's been screwed on their mis one too many times and is starting to contemplate the futility of trying to catch up (and casting longing looks at the back door).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.