Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - I get the picture.

I don't buy "pateurized" seafood,nor do I buy seafood in supermarkets. The concept seems so strange to me. It's bad enough that I mostly have to buy pasteurized cheese and other dairy products <sigh> Another pet peeve of mine.

Shel

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the lesson on lump crab.

Around these parts fresh crab is readily available, so I guess we're lucky. By fresh I mean live. A few of the fish mongers here will sell cooked crab, but they cook it themselves, and it's very fresh. I'm sure they don't pasteurize it. I only recently discovered that crab meat can be bought in cans. Never heard of crab in pouches.

shel

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's no "ban" on harvesting California abalone, just some strong restrictions, which have been in place for years. Harvesting abalone in California is managed through size limits, limits on the number of permits for commercial abalone divers, and restrictions on harvesting areas. Some areas are closed to abalone harvesting in part because abalone is an important food for sea otters, and harvesting certain abalone in certain areas (south of San Francisco, iirc, reduces the food supply to these lovely creatures, putting a strain on their population.

The Pacific Northwest and Alaska also have supp;ies of abalone.

Shel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.