Chef Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Oh by the way Koukou, IHOP uses an LELP-- liquid egg-like product... it comes pre-made in a sealed bag, is simply dumped into a container. Couple scoops in a saute pan, and cook them and there's your scrambled eggs.
But I don't know if you're aware of this and a lot of people aren't.... that when your server takes your order you can request whole eggs or real eggs and if it's noted on the ticket the cook WILL take out two whole eggs and break them into a pan for you and scramble them.l
Also notable is that not all Quick Service/family restaurants do this... Denny's for example always uses whole eggs, never a LELP.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Oh by the way Koukou, IHOP uses an LELP-- liquid egg-like product... it comes pre-made in a sealed bag, is simply dumped into a container. Couple scoops in a saute pan, and cook them and there's your scrambled eggs.
But I don't know if you're aware of this and a lot of people aren't.... that when your server takes your order you can request whole eggs or real eggs and if it's noted on the ticket the cook WILL take out two whole eggs and break them into a pan for you and scramble them.l
Also notable is that not all Quick Service/family restaurants do this... Denny's for example always uses whole eggs, never a LELP.
Good to know!! I don't usually order scrambled eggs at ihop, I tend to favor over easy eggs in general but I will keep this in mind! I do know however that in their omelets they tend to add pancake batter to the eggy mix. So strange.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The resturants that i have experienced from...the inside.....dont add things to scrambled eggs.
Eggs are pooled in small batches, if at all, the poured in a pan or (oh so slowly) on the hot griddle.

Koukou.... yep, the omelette mix is super thin, and they add a little batter to keep it together.
But not much, like 1 ladle for a gallon of mixture.
Then they ladle and pour it directy on the griddle, "free form" style. It spreads out a lot, making
a long large omelette. But youre lucky if youre getting 2 full eggs out of it, cuz
its so thin.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
A sidebar on IHOP. One morning on the job I was to pick up someone at a hospital, had time to go across the street to an IHOP for breakfast. Gave the server my order, sat sipping my coffee. A couple of guys came in and were seated close to me. One of the fellows had some food allergy issues, was talking with the server about the options. She read off the nutrition info about one of the meals, giving total fat, calories from fat, sodium levels and such. The numbers were astounding, for example 2200 milligrams of sodium. I thought "Wow, that's not healthy." My breakfast arrived, I scarfed it up. Got to thinking about it later that day, so when I got home I checked the web for the numbers on the meal I had. Across the board at least 50% higher than the meal I thought was unhealthy, something like 3500 milligrams of sodium, many times the recommended daily allowance. Wow.

mjb.

·
Registered
360 Posts
unreal numbers on sodium. I am not a big salt user, a pound will last almost a year, mainly goes in pasta or potato water.
on eggs, i notice a big color difference between store bought and ones from neighbor. ones from neighbor also have a more 'eggy' taste.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.