Chef Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed changes on a lot of "chain" restaurant's sandwich menus can any one tell me what makes a sandwich a "ginder"
also what cuts are hanger and flat iron steaks it's trendy but no place nearby is doing it? much thanks :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
The hanger is a neighbor to the skirt steak. About as tough, but not well formed. The flat iron, I think, is a way to cook a skirt steak, pressed between hot cast iron?

Phil

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The flast iron is cut from the shoulder top blade. I don't think anyone really knows where it got its name, but it could be from the thick gristle that runs along the centre and needs to be removed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you talking about a "grinder", which a just another name for a hoagie? Flat irons are the meat packers way to market an underused cut. They are similar in use and cooking technique to the "fajita steak" otherwise known as the skirt, or hanger. these cuts need to be cut properly, well seasoned and cooked properly or they are shoe leather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.