Chef Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone. I feel every time we work in the kitchen, we produce waste. While some of it should be thrown away, some food scraps could actually still have some use in them, if we give them a chance. Many products we that we process – whether it be fruits, veggies, or other kinds of leftovers or food remains – usually end up in the bin long before they’ve been utilized to their fullest extent. I often try cooking food from scratch and trying out new recipes and ingredients. So, can anyone here suggest to me more of methods to reuse food waste?

· Registered
273 Posts
The easy answer would be to eat left overs and compost peels etc.
One of my favorites was potato peels for family meal at the kitchens. Wash them before peeling and deep fry....seasoning was the expected s&p or seasoned salt.

Carrots, onions, turnips, celery and just about any vegetable peels went into the stock pot.
The wood section of asparagus or brocoli became cream soup. Tired fruit became purees for Patisserie.

In today's kitchens labor is too high to do such things anymore...but it used to make great food.

· Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Some vegetables ( like green onions) have root ends that can be used to grow more vegetables. Meat Pates were created by using meat scraps from butchering. Still a useful practice if you have enough scraps. Fruit and Vegetable scraps can be used in the same way or pureed for added plating affects and smoothies. The leaves of many vegetables can be eaten if you can get vegetables with the leaves still attached. Coffee grounds can be used for staining wood among other things and are great as compost. Leftover coffee (if there ever is any) can be made into custard or pudding. Egg shells for stock clarification, compost and something I can't remember. Ground for polish I think.
Leftover Rice, potatoes and other starches can be mixed with eggs and flavorings to make croquettes. Cooked rice=rice pudding.
If your milk sours, you can heat it until it separates, strain the solids with cheesecloth, a little salt and hang overnight to make farmer's cheese.
Pretty much any leftovers can be made in to soup of some kind.
Bread of all kinds can be used to make bread crumbs or bread pudding either sweet or savory. Leftover Pastries make pretty good puddings.
Cooked meat scraps with potatoes and seasonings make great hash for breakfast.
I might think of more later. Time to clean the house.

· Registered
242 Posts
just as an example, a friend makes Tempeh commercially. The effluent from cooking hundreds of pounds of soy beans is collected, and sold to a hog producer. Very high in protein, evidently tasty enough for the hogs, and helps with the cost.
The point being that if you examine your process, you can usually find something productive to do with the waste.

· Super Moderator
8,406 Posts
One very underused method is reusing cooked beef. You can actually chop cooked beef in the food processor and make a Raghu out of it. Potatoes can be used for hash. Leftover rice becomes fried rice. Leftover whole poultry cuts or pork can be stewed with gravy or sauce and added vegetables to create a whole new dish. Pot pie is an example.

In general, proper planning reduces waste, and having the mentality that enough is enough, you will make do. A chicken can be parted out, the carcass used for stock. Beef fat can be used for bird suet. And of corse feed the rabbits with older greens. Juice your fruit when the time comes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts