Chef Forum banner
1 - 6 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5,664 Posts
If you look at the history, you'll understand it was Mc D's that developed and first used the glue for Mc nuggets. The emphasis was on perfectly portioned chunks,( a 1/4 oz +\_ tolerance times a bazillion portions works out to a lot) not necessarily cost effectiveness, but cost is a pretty good bonus too.

What does a high volume catering (airline) kitchen do with a boatload of tenderloin trim? Turn it into Stroganoff? Or glue it back together for perfect 3.5 oz medallions?

In the end, you get what you pay for. An airline can order 2000 beef tenderloin without glue, or with, but there will/should be a price difference. That is the choice the customer should make, not the kitchen....

· Registered
5,664 Posts
Hi allenmcpherson,

You're right, I rechecked the websites, and the main binding agent in McNuggets is starch derived from corn, a lot of corn in a McNugget apparently, but no meat glue. I do apologize for not getting my facts right.

That being said, I have worked in kitchens where meat glue was used to "reconstruct" tenderloin. Not my choice, not my call, and as a pastry chef, I shouldn't even know about it, but I do. The glue is available from butcher's spice suppliers.

· Registered
5,664 Posts
Hi allenmcpherson,

You're right, I rechecked the websites, and the main binding agent in McNuggets is starch derived from corn, a lot of corn in a McNugget apparently, but no meat glue. I do apologize for not getting my facts right.

That being said, I have worked in kitchens where meat glue was used to "reconstruct" tenderloin. Not my choice, not my call, and as a pastry chef, I shouldn't even know about it, but I do. The glue is available from butcher's spice suppliers.

· Registered
5,664 Posts
Nah, the " slime" is mechanically deboned beef, chicken, or pork. Nothing at all to do with meat glue.

I once had a factory tour of a medium sized meat plant that did mechanical deboned pork: boned-out carcasses and bones went on this conveyor belt, then these Freddy Kruger-like s/s chains attached to a rotating drum basically beat the living (deleted) out of whatever was on the conveyor. As the drum rotated, the chains went through a sort of "comb" where the sludge was collected and moved via auger. The plant owner gleefully pointed out that you could get sloppy and spend less time boning out cuts, and still get your money's worth with the "thing". And as a bonus, the sludge needed no grinding and lent itself perfectly to bind other ground meats in sausage making.

As a result, every time I see "mechanically de boned chicken/beef/pork on a label, the gag reflex starts up even though that plant tour was well over 20 years ago....

But to use meat glue on bacon to ensure it sticks onto roasts is, I think, a pretty legitimate and well intentioned use for the stuff, same with pressed confit. O.t.o.h, using glue to make 24" long tenderloin tubes out of trim is pretty nasty.

· Registered
5,664 Posts
Nah, the " slime" is mechanically deboned beef, chicken, or pork. Nothing at all to do with meat glue.

I once had a factory tour of a medium sized meat plant that did mechanical deboned pork: boned-out carcasses and bones went on this conveyor belt, then these Freddy Kruger-like s/s chains attached to a rotating drum basically beat the living (deleted) out of whatever was on the conveyor. As the drum rotated, the chains went through a sort of "comb" where the sludge was collected and moved via auger. The plant owner gleefully pointed out that you could get sloppy and spend less time boning out cuts, and still get your money's worth with the "thing". And as a bonus, the sludge needed no grinding and lent itself perfectly to bind other ground meats in sausage making.

As a result, every time I see "mechanically de boned chicken/beef/pork on a label, the gag reflex starts up even though that plant tour was well over 20 years ago....

But to use meat glue on bacon to ensure it sticks onto roasts is, I think, a pretty legitimate and well intentioned use for the stuff, same with pressed confit. O.t.o.h, using glue to make 24" long tenderloin tubes out of trim is pretty nasty.

· Registered
5,664 Posts
Ah...pre chewed meat....

I'll never forgot at the tender age of 13 our scout master had a special treat in store for us, we did a tour of the local sausage plant. This was in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and the plant had a reputation for getting the cheapest bid on house brand "luncheon meats" and weenies for the supermarket chains

The sight of two guys in white hip waders, using s/s shovels, shoveling "stuff" down the gaping maw of a floor-mounted meat grinder will haunt me for the rest of my life. So will the plant's duty manager interpretation of "meat": See, liver, lungs, etc are organs, and therefore categorized as "offal", but meat is muscle. Weenies (at that plant, anyways) are made with muscle, not offal, which included sphincter muscles, eye and facial muscles.

Someday, you forgot about the Chinese 1000 year eggs, pickled in "natural" sources of ammonia...

1 - 6 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.