Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from my NECI tour and I spent a week in Hyde Park in May . . .

IF you were faced with hiring someone for your kitchen and you had 2 candidates with IDENTICAL abilities but one was a CIA grad and the other hailed from NECI . . .

who gets the job and why? :confused:

·
Registered
444 Posts
i am at no position to answer this question. i am a student at the cia right now but steping that aside, i think that i would hire whoever had the passion to learn and who is most coachable. you wont put out food if you do not have a passion for what you do and you wont be a team player if you are not coachable.

i think the name of the school will open doors for you but they will just open.. it doesnt mean they will let you in.

i think if you have a passion and you are coachable along with having a professional attitude, on time, and a good team player then that is what counts.

on another note: to me, all schools have the same goal: to give the student the basic foundation of cooking. its WHAT YOU MAKE OF SCHOOL that counts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is less about what school you go to and more about what you put in.
If you are trying to decide between the two you have to look at Facilities and Instructors. I graduated from the CIA, but looked at many schools. The facilities at CIA are second to none( they have to spend allot of money to stay non-profit)
I will give the edge to CIA in instructors also, because of sheer numbers. Anyone ever heard "It's not what you know it's who you know." If the instructors see you doing a good job and working to get better, they will help you later. Finding jobs, references, etc. Of course instructors at any school would do this but there are so many more people at the CIA there is just more options. Don't forget the other students, my boss graduated from the CIA in the '80s. He was first in his class the person that was second was some guy named Todd English. CIA also has regular visits from people that are at the top of the industry. OK OK I admit I am biased towards my alma mater. Where ever you decide to go make sure to take advantage of the things they don't talk about in the Handbook.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.