Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Rational ovens sre best used in catering, they earn thier keep with roasting meats with less than 10% weighg loss, and make money for you by re thermalising fully dressed bsnquet plates. Yes they can be used for baking, but they are still a convection oven.

At work I have a rational oven, usually once a week I need to make 6 deep dish 12" quiches. In order to have a nice product, I need to bake the quiches blind- linjng it with paper, filling with stones, baking, remiving paper and stones, baking a bit more to dry out the bottom, then putting my filling and custard mix in, and bsking until the custard has set.

With a deck, I set the bottom heat to 3, the top heat to 1, plunk my filling and custard into the raw shell, and walk away.

As I've said before, with a convection, you alter the ingredients, technique, and work flow to suit the oven. With a deck, you alter the controls to suit the product.
FoodPump, appreciate your replies on this thread. We are a social enterprise that has been focused on coffee. However, we are starting to do "coffee corners" and are now supplying a simple line of baked goods. Our staff have some experience baking but with a standard domestic oven (non convection). We have about USD$6-7,000 in a grant to purchase a commercial oven. I thought we needed a convection oven for sure, and was trying to find which brand was the best when I stumbled on this thread. But now after reading this thread I'm second guessing the convection part. Our main line of baked goods: banana bread, scones, cinnamon rolls, cookies, muffins, cheesecake, pie. We'd like to learn how to do a really good quiche too. Might get into croissant and tarts/turnovers down the road.

We aren't high volume (baking about 3 of the above items in a day, and baking 3-4 days out of the week) but want something that we can also grow into. I think we could squeeze in a "baking depth" single deck convection LPG oven with dimensions of W 38", depth 44", height 60" but it would be nice if we can even get a smaller footprint.

Should we be looking at convection ovens or deck ovens? I'm new to this forum so now sure if this is the best method or if there is a direct message feature that is more appropriate.

Thank you for your time and sharing your wisdom.

· Registered
3 Posts
Very helpful, thank you. One take away is that it seems neither one is necessarily a "wrong" choice given what we do, but still some research to do, particularly with code/reg's.

If we go with a gas convection, would you choose any of these that I've researched so far: Blodgett, Vulcan or Garland?

Thanks!

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm not looking for a convection oven.
From what you have said so far I was giving your opinion credit.

Nice job though ... not understanding a compliment and making me explain it.
Things that we'd normally say with facial expressions and body language, and then things like sarcasm are hard to read in text format. FoodPump has offered lots of great advice on this forum and I as a novice am particularly thankful he is willing to share of his time and experience!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.