Chef Forum banner

What type of ingredient absorbs smoke the best?

• Fats & Lipids

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grains & Legumes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Veggies & Fruits

• Meats & Fishes

• purees & stocks

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Cooked grains & legumes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
I only have minimal experience with smoked foods (A place I worked at smoked chickens for 6hrs before roasting), but I think fat absorbs smoke flavor the most. The chicken had a smoky flavor mostly through out, but the skin and fat really held that flavor for the finished dish. A side note about the process is that this place did not have a traditional smoker, they had a metal cambro type of container that would hold perforated sheet pans. Two sizzle pans would be filled with hickory chips and fired up on the range, after igniting and burning for a few minutes would be extinguished with a damp side towel and placed at the base of the container. The container was sealed (Airtight I think?) and rolled outside until the shift change. Anyone else seen this technique used in lieu of a full sized smoker?

· Registered
155 Posts
That gives me an idea for a smoked fried chicken and waffles. I wonder if i could also infuse the batter with smoke or would that be overkill?
I'd agree with Chef Layne, mostly because the sound of smoke and fried chicken skin doesn't sound appealing to me, skinless breaded tenderloins perhaps. The only item that I've seen done well with smoked then deep fried food are smoked pulled pork cakes with smoked cream cheese and scallion in the middle. I'll try any food at least once, I say go for it using a few different variations and see what your results are.

· Registered
155 Posts
Hmm.. I was thinking more on the line of it not working well for southern style fried chicken and waffles (Usually dark meat.), rather than wings which make sense. I think I've had smoked fried wings at the same place that had the pork cakes. For wings do you toss in cornstarch or other light breading before frying?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.