Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,364 Posts
[h2]Etymology[edit][/h2]
The word steak originates from the mid-15th century Scandinavian word steik, or stickna' in the Middle English dialect, along with the Old Norse word steikja.[sup][5][/sup] The Oxford English Dictionary's first reference is to "a thick slice of meat cut for roasting or grilling or frying, sometimes used in a pie or pudding; especially a piece cut from the hind-quarters of the animal." Subsequent parts of the entry, however, refer to "steak fish", which referred to "cod of a size suitable for cutting into steaks", and also "steak-raid", which was a custom among Scottish Highlanders of giving some cattle being driven through a gentleman's land to the owner.[sup][6][/sup] An early written usage of the word "stekys" comes from a 15th-century cookbook, and makes reference to both beef or venison steaks.[sup][7][/sup]

I recall the English being fond of "joints" of meat - large cuts tied and slow cooked. Range beef cattle and the cowboys and gauchos who tended them probably cut steaks as they operated on the move, had no method of preserving meat other than jerk, or smoke and no real means to slow cook a joint of beef.

Don't mind me - I'm just thinking out loud over coffee.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.