Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I'm allergic to it

Votes: 9 11.0%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for one cannot stand cilantro, I can smell it a mile away and it makes my stomach turn. My mom on the other hand loves it. I was just wondering what you all think...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
KateW,

I think you may need to add some more options:

Learned to like it later in life

Growing on me over time

I think I fall into those categories. I used to have the same opinion as you did...

;)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hubby and myself just love it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea, cchiu. I hadn't thought of that!
Edit: Hmm, I can't seem to edit the poll. Sorry...if your opinion isn't on the list, please tell me how you do feel about this odd little herb...hehe....
I can certainly understand not liking something at first and then growing into it. But no matter how many times I try to sample cilantro, even in tiny nibbles, I still hate it!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Cilantro strikes me as something you either love or hate, with very few falling in the "neutral" zone. Some people are terribly allergic to it - and suffer from symptoms like ferocious headaches if even the smallest trace is consumed. I love cilantro and feel it gives a fresh flavor to Mexican foods - or any food with a southwest slant.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is shiso?
I went to Chili's once recently and asked for no cilantro on their chicken tacos. The waitress said Oh, are you allergic? That was the first time I had heard of someone being allergic. I said No, I just can't stand it!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
KateW,

Some information on Shiso for you here. Shiso is a mint-like herb which is traditionally used as part of sushi presentation. It is hard to find in the west and is often replaced with bits of green serrated plastic.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
I fall into the "used to hate it, now I love it" category. When I go to Chili's, I ask for extra cilentro on my fajita salad! I used to think it tasted like herby soap.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think cilantro tastes like soap too, but this is not a good thing in my opinion ;)
Thanks for the info on shiso. I don't think i've ever had it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
There has been suggestions that one is genetically predisposed to like or dislike cilantro......
Down here, and in most of Europe, b.t.w., you will look in vain for cilantro. Ask for coriander leaves.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't know how I could eat without it. It's such an important flavor in so many ethnic dishes - I couldn't imagine making pico de gallo without cilantro. And then there's all the Asian dishes - steamed fish with scallions and cilantro, Thai and Vietnamese noodle dishes, Indian food with dosas and curries...the list goes on...

cchiu - at the sushi bars where I've eaten, shiso is often used as an integral part of the dish. I have had it as a chiffonade on top of sashimi- (which I can sort of handle) but sometimes it gets tucked into a handroll and then it's overpowering (to me).
There's a bar I go to - 15 seats- you eat what the chef presents to you - and I love it so much but I have to carefully watch what he's making so I don't get the dreaded leaf and end up gagging and embarrasing myself :D(and showing disrespect to him!) :eek:

Monkey:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Thai cookbook written by a former Peace Corp volunteer that spent time there. He writes in the intro that the first thing he learned to say in Thai was "Hold the cilantro." They use it a LOT. He said six months later he was saying "Extra cilantro please."

It was an aquired taste for me too. Now I love the stuff!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can take it or leave it – mostly leave it! The first time I had I thought it tasted like soap & went back & rinsed & rinsed the leaves, thinking there was some sort of residue. Still think it tastes like soap, but don’t waste the effort anymore. Maybe making a kid eat cilantro when he became foul-mouthed would save on the soap budget??:lol:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I, too, fall into the "it tastes like soap" category. It really is a splendid flavor, like anything in moderation. But, so often it falls subject to the heavy hand. Remember the Food Network's Too Hot Tamales? They used that stuff by the handful.... I wonder if you could blow bubbles after eating their food?!?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I used to think that basil would be the one herb I couldn't live without, but I'm beginning to think cilantro might be more important. I use it when I cook Indian, Thai, and Mexican-flavored dishes. I put it in salsa, omelets, polenta, enchildas, pesto, scrambled eggs, I could go on and on. I planted basil and cilantro in two pots on my deck (all I had room for, we live in a small apartment) and the cilantro ended up growing both places!

Can't wait for more to grow so I can use more of it!!!

~~Shimmer~~

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Cilantro like durian are the two edibles that you can have physical illness smelling. It used to turn my stomach just getting a whiff of it....I can handle and even like it in moderation.....though I pick it off the top of my noodles and don't add it to spring rolls.

·
Registered
467 Posts
As someone could remember from a thread I started a few months ago, I had never had Cilantro since in Italy is unknown- both the plant and the name (I always heard about it as "coriander leaves"). So, I planned to grow it at home and got from you some excellent advice. Well, time has passed and I still don't know how is Cilantro since it didn't grow at all:(
It's likely the coriander seeds I got in my pantry were too old :cry:

In any case, the last Shroomgirl post worries me a bit since Durian is definitely the most disgusting stuff I have ever tried in my life:eek: so I hope they don't taste like each other...

Pongi

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.