Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,714 Posts
What's the pan made of? That's an acid reaction. Happens sometimes with garlic that turns blue. If it's not the pan I'm guessing that the onions are very old or very acidic for some reason.

They shouldn't hurt you, but might taste musty. You could try to boost the caramelization with a little sugar, but I don't think it'll do much.

· Registered
2,714 Posts
I think the only concern about raw stuff in a meatloaf is that you don't have any control over the water content. Onions are probably okay, but mushrooms or spinach could really have dramatic effects on the texture and such if not cooked in advance. Same as for stuffings: you don't just ram spinach and mushrooms up a chicken's butt and hope it'll roast properly! (How's that for an image? :eek:)

· Registered
2,714 Posts
Processing raw onions is a problem, actually. Basically the thing is that onions have a couple of essential oils which, when combined, produce a sulfuric acid compound. This is why cutting onions with a really sharp knife lessens the crying: you don't crush the cells. If you process the onions, you crush everything and get sulfuric acid everywhere. You may be right that this is also related to the onions turning green: as I mentioned earlier, the blue garlic thing is definitely an acid reaction, and this may be the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts