Chef Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
School cafeterias usually gravitate to what the majority of kids will eat. Remember OBama's wife and her campaign to bring healthy foods to school cafeterias? Most kids wouldn't eat anything and the food would up in the garbage- as did her school lunch program.

Don't forget too that kids are picky eaters or have a down right food aversion. They get that way from bad parenting- "no, you don't like that? Here, let me make you something else." If parents had dinner at the same time every night, everybody came to the table WITHOUT their electronic devices, coloring books, etc. and everybody got the same meal kids would learn to eat a more varied diet.

If they refuse to eat they are not given any other choice. After a couple of weeks betcha they will eat anything. :rofl: That's the way I was brought up.

· Registered
834 Posts
My three nieces come to visit a couple of times a year for a week, ages 14, 11 and 9. Food is always a battle. The oldest one asked if she could bring her friend next time then added "you probably won't like her because she only eats mac & cheese and bread".

My brother-in law and his wife took the three of them along on a cruise last year. It got so bad that the chief came to the table and offered to make them anything if they would only eat.

What the hell is wrong with parents these days???

· Registered
834 Posts
To say the least, those good ol' days are no more.
It is now a rarity for a family to sit down together and enjoy a meal without electronics or technology.

The reality is that how we were raised is quite different than today.
We repeatedly express a collective sigh because we miss it

One could argue that the family meal was a good time for family to talk and have a special time together each and every day, however; today we have one-parent families, we have work schedules, ballet, band, sports, and all the rest that makes sitting down at the dinner table a thing of the past. Not to mention the time it takes to cook and serve a meal.
The evening meal has definitely evolved.
If parents WANTED to have the traditional dinner meal they would do it. Extracurricular activities, work schedules, etc. are just an excuse. It just depends on where parents set their priorities and learning to say no. Thing is most parents are second generation to this crap, they were treated the same way themselves so they just don't know any better.

Kids have to be taught how to eat just like they must be taught most other things. If parents think that sports are more important then proper nutrition there is something very wrong with their parenting skills.

· Registered
834 Posts
One of the unintended consequences is that kids who refuse to eat the school lunches are snacking in their respective classrooms. They're primarily snacking on junk food which is what the Feds DIDN'T want the kids to do.
You give the feds way too much credit. "Unintended consequences"? No, the Hunger Free Kids Act was a way to create a legacy for Michelle OBama. That kids refused to eat the required food and there are roaches crawling around the classrooms are of no consequence, not unintended.

· Registered
834 Posts
Your obvious political bias not withstanding, Do your REALLY think offering fruits and veggies in place of Junk Food is unacceptable? Kids, like adults, have changing tastes, and if they never get exposed to anything other than "heat and serve" salt laden food, they'll only have one future: FAT.
No, I don't think offering fruits and veggies in place of junk food is unacceptable but what difference does it make if they won't eat them? Tell me how it should be a schools responsibility to teach kids how to eat? As I said above, it all begins at home and if parents won't teach their kids to to eat properly what do you think is going to happen at school?

· Registered
834 Posts
I know too many parents who don't ask their kids to "try" something once or twice; who cave in and give them glorified McDonald's crap that masquerades as "food" just so they won't have to convince their children to broaden their pallets.
Parenting 101: You don't ASK you TELL. And if they won't eat what you put in front of them they don't eat. You'll see how fast they "broaden their pallets". Parents need to be parents NOT their kid's friends!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.