Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,717 Posts
Thanks for all of your responses ! I knocked my iPad off the side last week and it bent and smashed I’ve not been able to get on here to flick through your reply’s ! I like the familiar unfamiliar idea I’ll write up a list of my available ingredients to try some new and exciting things !
Ugh, I did that to my iPad a year ago and it really messed up a lot of comfortable patterns in my day.

With the economic situation in the UK, I suggest you think a lot about "comfort food" as a notion. If you can provide a hearty, warming meal for a reasonable price, people are going to flock to your place just to sit somewhere warm with friends. You can probably go fractionally more expensive on ingredients than you usually would, because with a rough economy people will likely drink more.

You might also think about whether there are favorite British foods that have become unwieldy and expensive to do in small batches but which remain readily accessible to the professional kitchen. In the US, at least, a big beef roast is wildly less expensive in food cost for a professional kitchen than a home cook, as well as being a lot easier to handle because its mass insulates it against overcooking quite well. Yorkshire puddings are another example, where my impression is that they're finicky and often only make sense if you can crank them out by the dozen. I'm thinking that a steaming plate of British comfort foods -- cauliflower cheese, roasted potatoes, turnips and swedes, a little sliced meat, gravy, and a big Yorkie -- would bring in the punters and really shouldn't cost you all that much. Then you sell them a whole bunch of slightly marked-up beer and you're golden.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts